Deleting Email in Outlook 2007

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #264351] Fri, 11 January 2008 13:33 Go to next message
Carol Mattick  is currently offline Carol Mattick
Messages: 6
Registered: January 2008
Junior Member
I am using an IMAP folder. There seems to be no Deleted Items folder that is
automatically created or that I can create. When I tell the program to
delete, it sometimes just "disappears" the email and sometimes puts a
strikeout through it. However, my question is where do the deleted items go?
Without a Deleted Items folder, I am at a loss. As we all know, sometimes
you delete something you wish you had not. How can I retrieve deleted mail?
--
Carol Mattick
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #264385] Fri, 11 January 2008 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am using an IMAP folder. There seems to be no Deleted Items folder
> that is automatically created or that I can create.

Correct. IMAP protocols do not implement a Deleted Items folder. Instead,
clicking Delete merely marks the message for deletion, usully by displaying
the subject with an overstrike. You purge those marked items with
Edit>Purge Deleted Messages".

> When I tell the
> program to delete, it sometimes just "disappears" the email and
> sometimes puts a strikeout through it.

I suspect that in some folders you're using the "Hide Messages Marked for
Deletion" view and in others using the "IMAP Messages" view.

> However, my question is where
> do the deleted items go? Without a Deleted Items folder, I am at a
> loss. As we all know, sometimes you delete something you wish you
> had not. How can I retrieve deleted mail?

They don't go anywhere. They stay on the server in the folder that hold
them until you purge them. You recover them buy not deleting or purging
them. It's similar to asking "How do I recover deleted messages after I
emptied my Deleted Items folder?" The answer is, in general, "you don't.
They're gone for good," if you've purged them. If they're not purged, right
click one you want to keep and choose Undelete or click Edit and select
Undelete.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]



Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #264482] Fri, 11 January 2008 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carol Mattick  is currently offline Carol Mattick
Messages: 6
Registered: January 2008
Junior Member
Thanks for the info Brian. However, I just went in to try your advice and it
did not behave the way you described. I am in my imap.gmail.com set of
folders, specifically in the "inbox". When I click on "Views" and "Current
View", I see the "MAP messages" option, the "Hide Deleted Messages" option
and the "Group Deleted Messages Together" option. Only the "IMAP Messages"
option is checked. And yet, when I go to the inbox and delete an item, it
disappears.
--
Carol Mattick


"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using an IMAP folder. There seems to be no Deleted Items folder
> > that is automatically created or that I can create.
>
> Correct. IMAP protocols do not implement a Deleted Items folder. Instead,
> clicking Delete merely marks the message for deletion, usully by displaying
> the subject with an overstrike. You purge those marked items with
> Edit>Purge Deleted Messages".
>
> > When I tell the
> > program to delete, it sometimes just "disappears" the email and
> > sometimes puts a strikeout through it.
>
> I suspect that in some folders you're using the "Hide Messages Marked for
> Deletion" view and in others using the "IMAP Messages" view.
>
> > However, my question is where
> > do the deleted items go? Without a Deleted Items folder, I am at a
> > loss. As we all know, sometimes you delete something you wish you
> > had not. How can I retrieve deleted mail?
>
> They don't go anywhere. They stay on the server in the folder that hold
> them until you purge them. You recover them buy not deleting or purging
> them. It's similar to asking "How do I recover deleted messages after I
> emptied my Deleted Items folder?" The answer is, in general, "you don't.
> They're gone for good," if you've purged them. If they're not purged, right
> click one you want to keep and choose Undelete or click Edit and select
> Undelete.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #264883] Sun, 13 January 2008 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info Brian. However, I just went in to try your
> advice and it did not behave the way you described. I am in my
> imap.gmail.com set of folders, specifically in the "inbox". When I
> click on "Views" and "Current View", I see the "MAP messages" option,
> the "Hide Deleted Messages" option and the "Group Deleted Messages
> Together" option. Only the "IMAP Messages" option is checked. And
> yet, when I go to the inbox and delete an item, it disappears.

Ah, well, gmail has its own quirks and doesn't behave as most (all?) other
IMAP servers. It's POP implemenation isn't standards-compliant either.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #264889] Sun, 13 January 2008 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carol Mattick  is currently offline Carol Mattick
Messages: 6
Registered: January 2008
Junior Member
Well, at least I am not going crazy. Please look at my post under install
and configuring... "IMAP - Outlook 2007 How Do I..." posted today. The first
/ desktop machine doesn't have a deleted items folder, doesn't show you where
the deleted items go. The second / laptop machine has an imap folder which
does have a deleted items folder and that is where the deleted items go.
--
Carol Mattick


"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info Brian. However, I just went in to try your
> > advice and it did not behave the way you described. I am in my
> > imap.gmail.com set of folders, specifically in the "inbox". When I
> > click on "Views" and "Current View", I see the "MAP messages" option,
> > the "Hide Deleted Messages" option and the "Group Deleted Messages
> > Together" option. Only the "IMAP Messages" option is checked. And
> > yet, when I go to the inbox and delete an item, it disappears.
>
> Ah, well, gmail has its own quirks and doesn't behave as most (all?) other
> IMAP servers. It's POP implemenation isn't standards-compliant either.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #265039] Mon, 14 January 2008 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Well, at least I am not going crazy. Please look at my post under
> install and configuring... "IMAP - Outlook 2007 How Do I..." posted
> today. The first / desktop machine doesn't have a deleted items
> folder, doesn't show you where the deleted items go. The second /
> laptop machine has an imap folder which does have a deleted items
> folder and that is where the deleted items go.

I tested my gmail account (Also IMAP) and it doesn't have a Deleted Items
folder. I tested this on a different IMAP server as well. Outlook does not
create the Deleted Items folder in IMAP PSTs. Please recheck the type of
account that has the Deleted Items folder and see if, in fact, it's really
an IMAP account.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #265138] Mon, 14 January 2008 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carol Mattick  is currently offline Carol Mattick
Messages: 6
Registered: January 2008
Junior Member
--
Carol Mattick


"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, at least I am not going crazy. Please look at my post under
> > install and configuring... "IMAP - Outlook 2007 How Do I..." posted
> > today. The first / desktop machine doesn't have a deleted items
> > folder, doesn't show you where the deleted items go. The second /
> > laptop machine has an imap folder which does have a deleted items
> > folder and that is where the deleted items go.
>
> I tested my gmail account (Also IMAP) and it doesn't have a Deleted Items
> folder. I tested this on a different IMAP server as well. Outlook does not
> create the Deleted Items folder in IMAP PSTs. Please recheck the type of
> account that has the Deleted Items folder and see if, in fact, it's really
> an IMAP account.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
> How do you determine whether it is an IMAP account? By whether the incoming and outgoing mailservers say imap.gmail.com? and smtp.gmail.com? The data file associated with this account shows a .pst extension. But, so does the IMAP account on the desktop. I thought that was something Outlook was doing locally to house what was on the IMAP server.
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #265235] Mon, 14 January 2008 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How do you determine whether it is an IMAP account? By whether the
> incoming and outgoing mailservers say imap.gmail.com? and
> smtp.gmail.com?

No, by examining the account type. Tools>Account Settings should get you to
a place you can view the account properties. I'm not at my OL 2007 system
right now or I'd be more specific.

> The data file associated with this account shows a
> .pst extension. But, so does the IMAP account on the desktop. I
> thought that was something Outlook was doing locally to house what
> was on the IMAP server.

Outlook uses PST for its data storage for all account types except Exchange.
Normally I'd say that if the server contains "imap" in its name you'd be
correct to assume it's an IMAP server, but since "imap.gamil.com",
"smtp.gmail.com", and "pop.gmail.com" are all alias for the same servers,
they're interchangeable and don't tell you anything about the account type.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Deleting Email in Outlook 2007 [message #292008] Sat, 12 April 2008 13:43 Go to previous message
Yndoendo  is currently offline Yndoendo
Messages: 1
Registered: April 2008
Junior Member
If this is how IMAP works then why is it with Entourage (Outlook for Mac) you
can move your deleted emails into a deleted items folder? Does Entourage
have special magical powers that supercede IMAP standards and out preform
Outlook?

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Carol Mattick <CarolMattick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using an IMAP folder. There seems to be no Deleted Items folder
> > that is automatically created or that I can create.
>
> Correct. IMAP protocols do not implement a Deleted Items folder. Instead,
> clicking Delete merely marks the message for deletion, usully by displaying
> the subject with an overstrike. You purge those marked items with
> Edit>Purge Deleted Messages".
>
> > When I tell the
> > program to delete, it sometimes just "disappears" the email and
> > sometimes puts a strikeout through it.
>
> I suspect that in some folders you're using the "Hide Messages Marked for
> Deletion" view and in others using the "IMAP Messages" view.
>
> > However, my question is where
> > do the deleted items go? Without a Deleted Items folder, I am at a
> > loss. As we all know, sometimes you delete something you wish you
> > had not. How can I retrieve deleted mail?
>
> They don't go anywhere. They stay on the server in the folder that hold
> them until you purge them. You recover them buy not deleting or purging
> them. It's similar to asking "How do I recover deleted messages after I
> emptied my Deleted Items folder?" The answer is, in general, "you don't.
> They're gone for good," if you've purged them. If they're not purged, right
> click one you want to keep and choose Undelete or click Edit and select
> Undelete.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Previous Topic:import address book
Next Topic:HTML Displaying as Text
Goto Forum:
  


 
   
  
 
Top Outlook add-ins
Send PersonallySend Personally

Send Outlook 2000-2007 message to many recipients personally.

Duplicate Email RemoverDuplicate Email Remover

Delete duplicate emails and posts in Outlook and Microsoft Exchange folders.

Duplicates Remover for OutlookDuplicates Remover for Outlook

Delete duplicates in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server folders.

MAPILab ToolboxMAPILab Toolbox

A set of 18 Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003/2007 add-ins.

Total 176 add-ins for Outlook
in 11 categories.

Latest news
  

© 2006-2014 Office Assistance LLC