You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #241809] Thu, 08 November 2007 10:59 Go to next message
Orstillwtr
Messages: 4
Registered: November 2007
Junior Member
Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
RE: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #251969] Tue, 11 December 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Waltersa
Messages: 4
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I;m using Outlook 2002 & have
made no upgrades. Then as of just yesterday I cannot open any attachments
(new or old) with .msg extension. All other extensions seem to open just
fine. Could you email me back at bobwalters13@wbhsi.com if you have any
information on what could have caused the problem. I used forward to send 1
of the messages to my work computer & the .msg attachment opened just fine.

Thanks, Bob

"Orstillwtr" wrote:

> Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
> attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
> extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
> whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #251999] Tue, 11 December 2007 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Waltersa
Messages: 4
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
Hi Brian,

I'm not using Outlook 2007. I have 2002 & already have disabled google
desktop search with no luck. Any other ideas?

Thanks

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Bob Waltersa <BobWaltersa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I;m using Outlook 2002
> > & have made no upgrades. Then as of just yesterday I cannot open any
> > attachments (new or old) with .msg extension. All other extensions
> > seem to open just fine. Could you email me back at
> > bobwalters13@wbhsi.com if you have any information on what could have
> > caused the problem. I used forward to send 1 of the messages to my
> > work computer & the .msg attachment opened just fine.
>
> With Outlook 2007, the problem is usually Google Desktop Search.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
RE: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #252052] Tue, 11 December 2007 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Orstillwtr
Messages: 4
Registered: November 2007
Junior Member
I have not found or heard of a solution yet, other than Brian Tillman's reply
in this thread. I will try disabling google desktop to see if that solves my
issue. I hope you find a solution to your issue.

"Bob Waltersa" wrote:

> Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I;m using Outlook 2002 & have
> made no upgrades. Then as of just yesterday I cannot open any attachments
> (new or old) with .msg extension. All other extensions seem to open just
> fine. Could you email me back at bobwalters13@wbhsi.com if you have any
> information on what could have caused the problem. I used forward to send 1
> of the messages to my work computer & the .msg attachment opened just fine.
>
> Thanks, Bob
>
> "Orstillwtr" wrote:
>
> > Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
> > attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
> > extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
> > whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #252053] Tue, 11 December 2007 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Orstillwtr
Messages: 4
Registered: November 2007
Junior Member
I will try disabling google desktop search and see if the resolves the issue.
I'll post my results later. Lori

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Bob Waltersa <BobWaltersa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I;m using Outlook 2002
> > & have made no upgrades. Then as of just yesterday I cannot open any
> > attachments (new or old) with .msg extension. All other extensions
> > seem to open just fine. Could you email me back at
> > bobwalters13@wbhsi.com if you have any information on what could have
> > caused the problem. I used forward to send 1 of the messages to my
> > work computer & the .msg attachment opened just fine.
>
> With Outlook 2007, the problem is usually Google Desktop Search.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
RE: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #278507] Sun, 02 March 2008 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skhalfay
Messages: 1
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
"Orstillwtr" wrote:

> Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
> attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
> extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
> whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #278535] Sun, 02 March 2008 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
outlookmvp
Messages: 14613
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/openmsg.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **





"skhalfay" <skhalfay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1BB58545-B26C-49E5-A2D4-73B9AEEEADD6@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Orstillwtr" wrote:
>
>> Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
>> attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
>> extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type.
>> For
>> whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #281689] Wed, 12 March 2008 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomsel
Messages: 2
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/openmsg.htm
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> ** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
> when requesting assistance **
>
>
>
>
>
> "skhalfay" <skhalfay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1BB58545-B26C-49E5-A2D4-73B9AEEEADD6@microsoft.com...
> >
> >
> > "Orstillwtr" wrote:
> >
> >> Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
> >> attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
> >> extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type.
> >> For
> >> whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
>
RE: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #281691] Wed, 12 March 2008 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomsel
Messages: 2
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
I ran into the same problem, and fixed it by disabling the google desk top
search as follows:
go to Tools> Trust Center>add-ins > at the bottom Manage "pull-down box"
pull down to Exchange Client Extensions > go then uncheck Google Desktop
Outlook Addin
What a pain to find the answer, though.
Tom

"Orstillwtr" wrote:

> Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
> attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
> extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
> whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #282783] Mon, 17 March 2008 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Hein
Messages: 10
Registered: June 2007
Junior Member
It looks like you need to completely uninstall Google Desktop. Maybe
they have an updated fix by now.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:58:11 -0800, Orstillwtr
<Orstillwtr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have not found or heard of a solution yet, other than Brian Tillman's reply
>in this thread. I will try disabling google desktop to see if that solves my
>issue. I hope you find a solution to your issue.
>
>"Bob Waltersa" wrote:
>
>> Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I;m using Outlook 2002 & have
>> made no upgrades. Then as of just yesterday I cannot open any attachments
>> (new or old) with .msg extension. All other extensions seem to open just
>> fine. Could you email me back at bobwalters13@wbhsi.com if you have any
>> information on what could have caused the problem. I used forward to send 1
>> of the messages to my work computer & the .msg attachment opened just fine.
>>
>> Thanks, Bob
>>
>> "Orstillwtr" wrote:
>>
>> > Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
>> > attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
>> > extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
>> > whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #282815] Mon, 17 March 2008 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Richard Hein <richhein@heincomputilng.com> wrote:

> It looks like you need to completely uninstall Google Desktop. Maybe
> they have an updated fix by now.

They do. The current version has fixed the problem.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
RE: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #301557] Fri, 16 May 2008 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Reginato
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
I, too, have the problem of not being able to open attachments with .msg
extension. When I went to Tools I coiuldn't find Trust Center, and therefore
couldn't proceed, Perhaps you have a different solution.

"tomsel" wrote:

> I ran into the same problem, and fixed it by disabling the google desk top
> search as follows:
> go to Tools> Trust Center>add-ins > at the bottom Manage "pull-down box"
> pull down to Exchange Client Extensions > go then uncheck Google Desktop
> Outlook Addin
> What a pain to find the answer, though.
> Tom
>
> "Orstillwtr" wrote:
>
> > Since recently upgrading to 2007, I have run into a problem with email
> > attachments not opening. I think I have deduced that they all have .msg
> > extensions to the attachment file type. or it says Outlook file type. For
> > whatever reason they won't open. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #305514] Mon, 19 May 2008 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Rob Reginato <RobReginato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I, too, have the problem of not being able to open attachments with
> .msg extension. When I went to Tools I coiuldn't find Trust Center,
> and therefore couldn't proceed,

Then, perhaps you're not using Outlook 2007.

> Perhaps you have a different solution.

Do you have Google Desktop Search installed?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #305564] Mon, 19 May 2008 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Reginato
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2008
Junior Member
I'm using Outlook 2002, the version that came with my laptop. And, yes, I do
have google Desktop Search installed.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rob Reginato <RobReginato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I, too, have the problem of not being able to open attachments with
> > .msg extension. When I went to Tools I coiuldn't find Trust Center,
> > and therefore couldn't proceed,
>
> Then, perhaps you're not using Outlook 2007.
>
> > Perhaps you have a different solution.
>
> Do you have Google Desktop Search installed?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
Re: Outlook 2007 .msg attachments won't open [message #305887] Tue, 20 May 2008 13:26 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Rob Reginato <RobReginato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm using Outlook 2002, the version that came with my laptop. And,
> yes, I do have google Desktop Search installed.

Google Desktop Search produces the symptom you describe. Either uninstall
it, tell it to not index mail, or download the most recent version, which is
supposed to fix the problem.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Previous Topic:outlook 2007
Next Topic:Inbox
Goto Forum: