You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail?

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #220781] Thu, 27 September 2007 14:25 Go to next message
wcr
Messages: 6
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
The inbox folder indicates that I have e-mail, but it is not updated in the
list of e-mails - unless I select some (non-inbox) folder, then select the
inbox folder. This seems to be a problem with my Outlook 2007, the list was
automatically updated in previous versions of Outlook. Is there a way around
this annoying feature?
Re: How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #220833] Thu, 27 September 2007 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wcr
Messages: 6
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
I cannot find how to "turn off Exchange cached mode" in Outlook, nor do I
know how to change "from waiting for the UDP packets to polling the server
for new mails".

I was unsure whether the instructions in the 2 references you supplied were
related to my problem so I have not proceeded with these steps yet.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> "wcr" wrote ...
> > The inbox folder indicates that I have e-mail, but it is not updated
> > in the
> > list of e-mails - unless I select some (non-inbox) folder, then
> > select the
> > inbox folder. This seems to be a problem with my Outlook 2007, the
> > list was
> > automatically updated in previous versions of Outlook. Is there a
> > way around
> > this annoying feature?
>
>
> Turn off Exchange cached mode in Outlook to see if that helps. If
> not, something in your network is interfering with delivery of the UDP
> packets for new-mail notification, so you will need to discuss the
> problem with your Exchange or network administrators.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311506/en-us
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839226/en-us
>
> You could try changing from waiting for the UDP packets to polling the
> server for new mails.
>
>
Re: How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #220890] Thu, 27 September 2007 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wcr
Messages: 6
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
Following your sequence (and checking the help site) I realize that I am not
using Microsoft Exchange. I verified this by Crtl-right click on the Outlook
icon where there is no indication that Exchange is loaded.
This leaves me with the other suggestion ("changing from waiting for the UDP
packets to polling the server for new mails") but I don't know how to do this
either.
I appreciate your patience with this.
Bill

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> wcr <wcr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I cannot find how to "turn off Exchange cached mode" in Outlook, nor
> > do I know how to change "from waiting for the UDP packets to polling
> > the server for new mails".
>
> Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next. Select the Exhange account and click Change.
> Uncheck "Use Cached Exchange Mode". Click Next, then Finish. Stop and
> restart Outlook.
>
> > I was unsure whether the instructions in the 2 references you
> > supplied were related to my problem so I have not proceeded with
> > these steps yet.
>
> Read them and decide if they apply.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #220944] Thu, 27 September 2007 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
wcr <wcr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> This leaves me with the other suggestion ("changing from waiting for
> the UDP packets to polling the server for new mails") but I don't
> know how to do this either.

UDP packet delivery issues also occur in an Exchange environment. If you're
not using Exchange, UDP packet delivery failure is not the problem. What
type of account are you using?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #220988] Thu, 27 September 2007 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wcr
Messages: 6
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
It's a POP3 account - connected to a university server via a home network and
router. I have only got this problem since I started using Office 2007 in a
Vista environment.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> wcr <wcr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > This leaves me with the other suggestion ("changing from waiting for
> > the UDP packets to polling the server for new mails") but I don't
> > know how to do this either.
>
> UDP packet delivery issues also occur in an Exchange environment. If you're
> not using Exchange, UDP packet delivery failure is not the problem. What
> type of account are you using?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #220998] Thu, 27 September 2007 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
"wcr" wrote in message
news:57AF195C-2D8F-4B39-9BFB-E0C17DD749B4@microsoft.com...
> It's a POP3 account - connected to a university server via a home
> network and
> router. I have only got this problem since I started using Office
> 2007 in a
> Vista environment.


Do you have e-mail scanning enabled in your anti-virus program? Tried
disabling it yet?

Do you have WinFax installed? It attempts to integrate with Outlook
but does so very badly (it is old and very crappy code that Delrina
bought from someone who then Symantec bought, is a dead product, and
causes problems with its Office integration). Other than uninstalling
WinFax, you could try to go into its setup options and disable the
Office integration.

What add-ons are installed in Outlook? Have you tried starting
Outlook in its safe mode ("outlook.exe /safe") so no add-ons are
loaded when Outlook is started?

Also try disabling the "Sync RSS Feeds to the Common Feeds List"
feature and retest.

When you exit Outlook, go into Task Manager under the Processes tab to
make sure outlook.exe disappears after a minute.
RE: How do I refresh the display when I receive new e-mail? [message #255123] Fri, 21 December 2007 09:25 Go to previous message
Edward
Messages: 76
Registered: August 2006
Member
Hi,
Had same problem. Outlook 2007 Dutch with BCM. No refresh of inbox.
Problem caused by Norton Internet Security: firewall

Solution: deleted outlook-prgm from firewall list and started outlook again.
Norton-fw asked what to do with outlook: allow all (not auto).

Problem solved.
Succes


"wcr" wrote:

> The inbox folder indicates that I have e-mail, but it is not updated in the
> list of e-mails - unless I select some (non-inbox) folder, then select the
> inbox folder. This seems to be a problem with my Outlook 2007, the list was
> automatically updated in previous versions of Outlook. Is there a way around
> this annoying feature?
Previous Topic:Transfer ownership of PST file in Outlook 2007
Next Topic:Outlook 2007 Doesn't Refresh Various Inboxes
Goto Forum: