Outlook is not sending Out of Office message.

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455194] Mon, 29 December 2008 10:31 Go to next message
Sheila  is currently offline Sheila
Messages: 32
Registered: June 2006
Member
My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.

I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
Office" message not being returned to senders?
RE: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455217] Mon, 29 December 2008 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wes from Scottsdale  is currently offline Wes from Scottsdale
Messages: 2
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
I believe you need to use Exchange for Outlook's Out of Office to work. The
Exchange server responds on your behalf when Outlook is not open.

If you don't have Exchange, you can create an auto-reply rule that
accomplishes the same thing, but Outlook will need to stay open for the rule
to run when new messages are received.

"Sheila" wrote:

> My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
> Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
> the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.
>
> I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
> Office" message not being returned to senders?



RE: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455230] Mon, 29 December 2008 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheila  is currently offline Sheila
Messages: 32
Registered: June 2006
Member
I have created the auto-reply rule according to the directions from Microsoft
and I have my Outlook open, but the "out of office" message still will not
return. Any other ideas?

"Wes from Scottsdale" wrote:

> I believe you need to use Exchange for Outlook's Out of Office to work. The
> Exchange server responds on your behalf when Outlook is not open.
>
> If you don't have Exchange, you can create an auto-reply rule that
> accomplishes the same thing, but Outlook will need to stay open for the rule
> to run when new messages are received.
>
> "Sheila" wrote:
>
> > My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
> > Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
> > the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.
> >
> > I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
> > Office" message not being returned to senders?
Re: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455270] Mon, 29 December 2008 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH  is currently offline VanguardLH
Messages: 5901
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Sheila wrote:

> My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
> Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
> the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.
>
> I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
> Office" message not being returned to senders?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311107
Re: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455276] Mon, 29 December 2008 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheila  is currently offline Sheila
Messages: 32
Registered: June 2006
Member
I have followed all these instructions, but my message is still not being
sent. I did notice that my "Out of Office" message is saved in my Outbox. I
have also tried rebooting, but to no avail.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Sheila wrote:
>
> > My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
> > Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
> > the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.
> >
> > I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
> > Office" message not being returned to senders?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311107
>
Re: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455304] Mon, 29 December 2008 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH  is currently offline VanguardLH
Messages: 5901
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Sheila wrote:

> I have followed all these instructions, but my message is still not being
> sent. I did notice that my "Out of Office" message is saved in my Outbox. I
> have also tried rebooting, but to no avail.
>
> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> Sheila wrote:
>>
>>> My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
>>> Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
>>> the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.
>>>
>>> I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
>>> Office" message not being returned to senders?
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311107
>>

Turn off the OOF option if you left it on. Delete the rule to emulate
OOF. Then recreate the rule. Now send a test e-mail from some other
account to your own e-mail account and check if the rule works to send
back a reply.

Whether using the Exchange OOF function or the rule, only one reply is
sent back per e-mail address. Just one. Why? Because if it was a real
person that sent you an e-mail then they only need to receive back a
single e-mail telling them that you are away, not a reply for every
e-mail they send you. They may send you more e-mails although they know
you are away but don't need to be reminded every time that you aren't
there. You might subscribe to newsletters or other automated delivery
mails and they don't care about you taking a vacation. Spammers might
send out a ton of their crap all using the same bogus e-mail address.
Are you going to send out hundreds of OOF replies to spam that uses the
same e-mail address? So, to test your OOF setup, you have to enable it
anew and then send just one test e-mail to get back the OOF reply. Only
one OOF reply gets sent per sender's e-mail address.

If you send a test e-mail to try to generate an OOF reply but you don't
get the OOF reply at that other account then perhaps you have spam
filtering at your end or at the receiving end that is blocking that
e-mail. I don't recall if using a rule to emulate OOF results in a copy
of the OOF reply getting put into your Sent Items folder. I never use a
rule for OOF replies. It means I have to leave the computer, router,
and cable modem powered on all the time and that there are no power
outages, that there are no network outages (i.e., my ISP has perfect
availability), that Outlook remain loaded all the time (it will lock on
getting a mail session error and you won't get further mail polls), and
that you really do want to respond to everyone that sends you an e-mail.
Instead go check with your e-mail provider if they have a vacation
response or other-named auto-responder function. It is much better to
have the auto-replies generated from the mail server than from the
client end.
Re: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #455411] Tue, 30 December 2008 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheila  is currently offline Sheila
Messages: 32
Registered: June 2006
Member
Thank you so much! I deleted everything and reentered the message. It now
works beautifully. I really appreciate you explaining various scenarios in a
language I could understand...Thanks again!

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Sheila wrote:
>
> > I have followed all these instructions, but my message is still not being
> > sent. I did notice that my "Out of Office" message is saved in my Outbox. I
> > have also tried rebooting, but to no avail.
> >
> > "VanguardLH" wrote:
> >
> >> Sheila wrote:
> >>
> >>> My company uses a POP/SMTP server and Outlook 2003. I have set up an "Out of
> >>> Office" message, but when I test it (have another employee send me an email),
> >>> the "Out of Office" message is not returned to the sender.
> >>>
> >>> I have checked the box which says "Turn on this rule". Why is my "Out of
> >>> Office" message not being returned to senders?
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311107
> >>
>
> Turn off the OOF option if you left it on. Delete the rule to emulate
> OOF. Then recreate the rule. Now send a test e-mail from some other
> account to your own e-mail account and check if the rule works to send
> back a reply.
>
> Whether using the Exchange OOF function or the rule, only one reply is
> sent back per e-mail address. Just one. Why? Because if it was a real
> person that sent you an e-mail then they only need to receive back a
> single e-mail telling them that you are away, not a reply for every
> e-mail they send you. They may send you more e-mails although they know
> you are away but don't need to be reminded every time that you aren't
> there. You might subscribe to newsletters or other automated delivery
> mails and they don't care about you taking a vacation. Spammers might
> send out a ton of their crap all using the same bogus e-mail address.
> Are you going to send out hundreds of OOF replies to spam that uses the
> same e-mail address? So, to test your OOF setup, you have to enable it
> anew and then send just one test e-mail to get back the OOF reply. Only
> one OOF reply gets sent per sender's e-mail address.
>
> If you send a test e-mail to try to generate an OOF reply but you don't
> get the OOF reply at that other account then perhaps you have spam
> filtering at your end or at the receiving end that is blocking that
> e-mail. I don't recall if using a rule to emulate OOF results in a copy
> of the OOF reply getting put into your Sent Items folder. I never use a
> rule for OOF replies. It means I have to leave the computer, router,
> and cable modem powered on all the time and that there are no power
> outages, that there are no network outages (i.e., my ISP has perfect
> availability), that Outlook remain loaded all the time (it will lock on
> getting a mail session error and you won't get further mail polls), and
> that you really do want to respond to everyone that sends you an e-mail.
> Instead go check with your e-mail provider if they have a vacation
> response or other-named auto-responder function. It is much better to
> have the auto-replies generated from the mail server than from the
> client end.
>
Re: Outlook is not sending Out of Office message. [message #456130] Fri, 02 January 2009 11:02 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:19D476AF-6C36-48C9-90D0-18AC3B809731@microsoft.com...

>I have created the auto-reply rule according to the directions from
>Microsoft
> and I have my Outlook open, but the "out of office" message still will not
> return. Any other ideas?

It should get delivered exactly once per Outlook session to each unique
address.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Previous Topic:Purging Messages from IMAP Mail Server
Next Topic:Outlook 2007 changed spelling of Outlook Express
Goto Forum:
  


 
   
  
 
Top Outlook add-ins
Send PersonallySend Personally

Send Outlook 2000-2007 message to many recipients personally.

Duplicate Email RemoverDuplicate Email Remover

Delete duplicate emails and posts in Outlook and Microsoft Exchange folders.

Duplicates Remover for OutlookDuplicates Remover for Outlook

Delete duplicates in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server folders.

MAPILab ToolboxMAPILab Toolbox

A set of 18 Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003/2007 add-ins.

Total 176 add-ins for Outlook
in 11 categories.

Latest news
  

© 2006-2014 Office Assistance LLC