You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #387059] Tue, 29 July 2008 19:01 Go to next message
Norwin  is currently offline Norwin
Messages: 3
Registered: January 2008
Junior Member
Hi,

I've started receiving a "Folder is Full" error in Outlook 2007, using Vista
Home Premium. As a result I cannot permanently delete items, nor send email.
Receiving mail is fine. Please help?

Norwin
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #387329] Wed, 30 July 2008 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daphne Foldes  is currently offline Daphne Foldes
Messages: 696
Registered: December 2006
Senior Member
Adding to the reply that was posted by Brian. Are you leaving a copy of your emails on the server by any chance

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Norwin" <Norwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D47F4F87-AA70-44A2-92FE-B04336334608@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've started receiving a "Folder is Full" error in Outlook 2007, using Vista
> Home Premium. As a result I cannot permanently delete items, nor send email.
> Receiving mail is fine. Please help?
>
> Norwin
>
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438088] Sun, 02 November 2008 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laura  is currently offline Laura
Messages: 172
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
Hey Brian,

I have deleted several messages in my PST folder and rebooted. If I was out
of space, wouldn't this correct the problem? It did not.

Laura
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438089] Sun, 02 November 2008 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laura  is currently offline Laura
Messages: 172
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
Peter,

No emails are being left on the server.

Laura
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438092] Sun, 02 November 2008 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
outlookmvp  is currently offline outlookmvp
Messages: 14613
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
when you upgraded to outlook 2007, did you make a new profile? If not, it
used your old pst.

ps - please include the message you are replying to so everyone can follow
the thread.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:01B78BB4-A454-4845-A135-87BF08475DD7@microsoft.com...
>
> Brian, I do have an Outlook 97-2002 format PST. So now what?
>
> Laura
>
> P.S. I do have to wonder why didn't this get updated with my Outlook 2007
> update?????
>
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438101] Sun, 02 November 2008 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laura  is currently offline Laura
Messages: 172
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
Hi Diane,

I do have a 97-2002 PST, so should I assume I didn't create a new profile?
I can't remember - it's been a while. I only have 460MB of messages in my
PST and 63GB freespace on my C drive.

Laura

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> when you upgraded to outlook 2007, did you make a new profile? If not, it
> used your old pst.
>
> ps - please include the message you are replying to so everyone can follow
> the thread.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:01B78BB4-A454-4845-A135-87BF08475DD7@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Brian, I do have an Outlook 97-2002 format PST. So now what?
> >
> > Laura
> >
> > P.S. I do have to wonder why didn't this get updated with my Outlook 2007
> > update?????
> >
>
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438146] Sun, 02 November 2008 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH  is currently offline VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Laura wrote:

> I do have a 97-2002 PST, so should I assume I didn't create a new profile?
> I can't remember - it's been a while. I only have 460MB of messages in my
> PST and 63GB freespace on my C drive.

Then you are still using the old ANSI .pst format which has a limit of
2GB in size (1.87GiB). You need to convert to the newer Unicode .pst
format which has a default max size of 20GB (although it can be
increased but even at that size there will be a slowdown due to the size
of the database).

If you can still load Outlook, have you deleted any old or unneeded
items in various folders and then followed with a compaction (to
physically purge the delete-marked records from the database)?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010383511033.asp x?pid=CH010404871033
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438149] Sun, 02 November 2008 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bens  is currently offline bens
Messages: 7940
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
It doesn't get upgraded automatically - you have to do it manually.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q



"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:01B78BB4-A454-4845-A135-87BF08475DD7@microsoft.com:

> Brian, I do have an Outlook 97-2002 format PST. So now what?
>
> Laura
>
> P.S. I do have to wonder why didn't this get updated with my Outlook 2007
> update?????
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438150] Sun, 02 November 2008 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bens  is currently offline bens
Messages: 7940
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
No, you have to Compact the PST file in order for the space from the
deleted messages to be reclaimed. Also, did you empty your Deleted
Items and Junk E-mail folders?

Here's how to Compact: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289987

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q



"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:07D5D1F1-3FF1-4DA2-9879-4FC774D81F86@microsoft.com:

> Hey Brian,
>
> I have deleted several messages in my PST folder and rebooted. If I was out
> of space, wouldn't this correct the problem? It did not.
>
> Laura
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438203] Sun, 02 November 2008 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gordon  is currently offline Gordon
Messages: 5790
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:gel0vi$7rv$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Laura wrote:
>
>> I do have a 97-2002 PST, so should I assume I didn't create a new
>> profile?
>> I can't remember - it's been a while. I only have 460MB of messages in
>> my
>> PST and 63GB freespace on my C drive.
>
> Then you are still using the old ANSI .pst format which has a limit of
> 2GB in size (1.87GiB).

460 MB is NOWHERE near 2GB......
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438272] Sun, 02 November 2008 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH  is currently offline VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Gordon wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>
>> Laura wrote:
>>
>>> I do have a 97-2002 PST, so should I assume I didn't create a new
>>> profile? I can't remember - it's been a while. I only have 460MB
>>> of messages in my PST and 63GB freespace on my C drive.
>>
>> Then you are still using the old ANSI .pst format which has a limit
>> of 2GB in size (1.87GiB).
>
> 460 MB is NOWHERE near 2GB......

Is Laura using the properties of the folder to check the size of the
message store's records or is she using Windows Explorer to check the
size of the .pst file? I don't know if the message store size reported
by Outlook includes delete-marked records (that haven't yet been purged
from the database). You're also assuming that Laura is looking at the
size of the correct .pst file. If she has auto-archiving enabled, maybe
she was looking at the archive.pst file's size. Don't know yet which
..pst file that Laura was looking at its size and what was reporting its
size.

Laura (from the less than week old posts that I can see since I purge
posts older than that from my newsreader) has not yet performed a
compaction.
Re: Outlook 2007 - FOLDER IS FULL [message #438430] Mon, 03 November 2008 08:18 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:01B78BB4-A454-4845-A135-87BF08475DD7@microsoft.com...
>
> Brian, I do have an Outlook 97-2002 format PST. So now what?
>
> Laura
>
> P.S. I do have to wonder why didn't this get updated with my Outlook 2007
> update?????

Outlook 2007 doesn't update the format of the PST. It leaves that up to
you. You should replace your ANSI (old format) PST with a new Unicode PST.
See the steps here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Previous Topic:Windows internet explorer error message
Next Topic:Can a rule forward a message received and send it to another acco
Goto Forum: