You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

pst file access denied

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
pst file access denied [message #400391] Fri, 29 August 2008 13:18 Go to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
read-only. What gives? thanks.
RE: pst file access denied [message #400393] Fri, 29 August 2008 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mary
Messages: 2742
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
You cannot manually add the file to Outlook. You must access it using File,
Open OL Data File in Outlook and you will be able to move anything you want
to your current file or use the newly opened file as your main pst fil .

"rickster" wrote:

> I can even delete the file. Is it vista or outlook 2007?
>
> "rickster" wrote:
>
> > I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> > I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> > office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> > outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> > security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> > also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> > read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> > read-only. What gives? thanks.
RE: pst file access denied [message #405004] Tue, 02 September 2008 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
its still says access denied when I go to File, Open OL Data File in Outlook

"Mary" wrote:

> You cannot manually add the file to Outlook. You must access it using File,
> Open OL Data File in Outlook and you will be able to move anything you want
> to your current file or use the newly opened file as your main pst fil .
>
> "rickster" wrote:
>
> > I can even delete the file. Is it vista or outlook 2007?
> >
> > "rickster" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> > > I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> > > office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> > > outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> > > security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> > > also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> > > read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> > > read-only. What gives? thanks.
Re: pst file access denied [message #405005] Tue, 02 September 2008 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
thanks for replying but the read-only attribute is not checked.

"Pat Willener" wrote:

> Remove the read-only attribute.
>
> rickster wrote:
> > I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> > I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> > office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> > outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> > security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> > also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> > read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> > read-only. What gives? thanks.
>
Re: pst file access denied [message #405015] Tue, 02 September 2008 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:107D3E90-F7A4-4986-BC87-40E16DB23915@microsoft.com...

> its still says access denied when I go to File, Open OL Data File in
> Outlook

How did you transfer the PST file between systems?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: pst file access denied [message #405024] Tue, 02 September 2008 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
just the ordinary file copy

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:107D3E90-F7A4-4986-BC87-40E16DB23915@microsoft.com...
>
> > its still says access denied when I go to File, Open OL Data File in
> > Outlook
>
> How did you transfer the PST file between systems?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: pst file access denied [message #405061] Tue, 02 September 2008 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DD585F8A-06B5-4170-BEF9-F6C36748A638@microsoft.com...

> just the ordinary file copy

There is no "ordinary" file copy when transferring a file PC-to-PC. Did
you use a network share? a flash drive? a CD? the Easy Transfer Wizard?
the old disk drive as a slave on the new PC?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: pst file access denied [message #405105] Tue, 02 September 2008 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
network share

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:DD585F8A-06B5-4170-BEF9-F6C36748A638@microsoft.com...
>
> > just the ordinary file copy
>
> There is no "ordinary" file copy when transferring a file PC-to-PC. Did
> you use a network share? a flash drive? a CD? the Easy Transfer Wizard?
> the old disk drive as a slave on the new PC?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: pst file access denied [message #405852] Wed, 03 September 2008 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8CE1D2B7-6840-41BE-BE88-2EA76582062C@microsoft.com...

> network share

On which machine does the network share reside, the XP side or the Vista
side? Did you then copy the file from that folder to the Documents folder
(Vista has no "My Documents")
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]?
Re: pst file access denied [message #405980] Wed, 03 September 2008 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
I copied from the xp machind to a 2003 server share and then to the
'documents' folder on the vista machine

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8CE1D2B7-6840-41BE-BE88-2EA76582062C@microsoft.com...
>
> > network share
>
> On which machine does the network share reside, the XP side or the Vista
> side? Did you then copy the file from that folder to the Documents folder
> (Vista has no "My Documents")
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]?
>
>
Re: pst file access denied [message #406620] Thu, 04 September 2008 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C236FDDB-8B23-4D8E-AA73-5355309E4E6C@microsoft.com...

>I copied from the xp machind to a 2003 server share and then to the
> 'documents' folder on the vista machine

Try taking ownership of the file. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories.
Right-click Command Prompt and choose :Run as Administrator". Click
Continue to the UAC prompt. IN the command prompt window, CD to the folder
containing the file and enter

takeown /f yourfile

Press Enter and you should see a message stating the operation completed
successfully. Now add the necessary access by entering

icacls yourfile /grant yourusername:f

Press Enter and you should receive a message that the operation completed
successfully. See if you can open the PST in Outlook now.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: pst file access denied [message #406673] Thu, 04 September 2008 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickster
Messages: 12
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
I'm already the owner and have full rights to the file. But I went through
your steps anyway with success. However, I still get 'file access is denied.
You do not have the permission to access the file." Yet, as I mentioned
earlier, I can delete the file. thanks for your help.

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "rickster" <rickster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C236FDDB-8B23-4D8E-AA73-5355309E4E6C@microsoft.com...
>
> >I copied from the xp machind to a 2003 server share and then to the
> > 'documents' folder on the vista machine
>
> Try taking ownership of the file. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories.
> Right-click Command Prompt and choose :Run as Administrator". Click
> Continue to the UAC prompt. IN the command prompt window, CD to the folder
> containing the file and enter
>
> takeown /f yourfile
>
> Press Enter and you should see a message stating the operation completed
> successfully. Now add the necessary access by entering
>
> icacls yourfile /grant yourusername:f
>
> Press Enter and you should receive a message that the operation completed
> successfully. See if you can open the PST in Outlook now.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
RE: pst file access denied [message #419240] Wed, 17 September 2008 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars Frge
Messages: 1
Registered: September 2008
Junior Member
Hi Rickster.

I had the same "access denied" as you did. I solved it by running Outlook
2007 as administrator (rigth click on the outlook program icon -> run as
administrator ).

Thats all it took for me :-)

Regards,
Lars

"rickster" wrote:

> I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> read-only. What gives? thanks.
RE: pst file access denied [message #421702] Fri, 26 September 2008 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
igorsf
Messages: 1
Registered: September 2008
Junior Member
Hi,

Sometimes when you copy a file from XP to Vista, the file gets a Mandatory
Label set to Hi Level. You can verify this with icacls.

Try this, open command prompt as Administrator.

icacls file /setintegritylevel L

This will set Mandatory Label to Low and allow the file to be read by
Outlook in user mode.


"Lars Færge" wrote:

> Hi Rickster.
>
> I had the same "access denied" as you did. I solved it by running Outlook
> 2007 as administrator (rigth click on the outlook program icon -> run as
> administrator ).
>
> Thats all it took for me :-)
>
> Regards,
> Lars
>
> "rickster" wrote:
>
> > I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> > I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> > office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> > outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> > security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> > also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> > read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> > read-only. What gives? thanks.
RE: pst file access denied [message #422274] Sun, 28 September 2008 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Murf
Messages: 3
Registered: September 2008
Junior Member
"rickster" wrote:

> I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> read-only. What gives? thanks.
RE: pst file access denied [message #422280] Sun, 28 September 2008 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Murf
Messages: 3
Registered: September 2008
Junior Member
AARRGG... posting 'gremlin' got me... anyway. I had a similar scenario and
tried various methods. SCENARIO: Moving files from Windows 2003 Server to
Windows 2008 Server. All files moved just fine and I started setting up
Shares. What I forgot to do was to all the group "Users" to the Share on the
new 2008 box. Once I did that (right click on folder-->Share), the .pst was
able to be added in my data files.


"rickster" wrote:

> I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> read-only. What gives? thanks.
RE: pst file access denied [message #422281] Sun, 28 September 2008 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Murf
Messages: 3
Registered: September 2008
Junior Member
Arrgg... forum gremlin got me. Anyway: I'm having the same problem after
moving to a new domain. The data files were copied from 1 server to another
server. When the files were copied, the actual FOLDERS (and subfolders)
attributes were "Read Only"; although I had explicit permission on the file
itself. I removed the "Read Only" attribute on the folders, and was good to
go. If this works, then credit Microsoft for the tip:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258468


"rickster" wrote:

> I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings fine.
> I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
> office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to office
> outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The file
> security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account is
> also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
> read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file is
> read-only. What gives? thanks.
Re: pst file access denied [message #422639] Mon, 29 September 2008 05:50 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"Murf" <Murf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:604E8493-9FF7-4764-B1F6-57A8B450E0D1@microsoft.com...

> "rickster" wrote:
>
>> I have a pst file on an XP computer running outlook 2002. Everythings
>> fine.
>> I copied the pst file to my documents folder on a vista computer running
>> office outlook 2007. When I try to add the pst file as a data file to
>> office
>> outlook 2007 I get file access denied-I don't have the permission. The
>> file
>> security has my account as the owner with full access rights, my account
>> is
>> also in the local administrator group as well as domain admin group. The
>> read-only box is not checked. When I try to run scanpst it says the file
>> is
>> read-only. What gives? thanks.

Did you intend to post a message containing nothing but a quote of someone
else's message?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Previous Topic:Email
Next Topic:What settings do I need to change so that emails
Goto Forum: