You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently?

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389507] Thu, 07 August 2008 13:45 Go to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
think of.

Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
RE: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389522] Thu, 07 August 2008 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOrland
Messages: 4836
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Have you checked your application event viewer for any Outlook or
Office-related errors?

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
http://www.howto-outlook.com/



"rtart" wrote:

> I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
> I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
> version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
> think of.
>
> Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
Re: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389617] Thu, 07 August 2008 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DL
Messages: 5938
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Event ID 1000 can be caused by a number of issues, ideally next time OL
crashes you should check the Event Viewer, then post full details of the
error, ie double clicking on the specific event will open a window, with an
option to paste the msg to the clipboard, which can be then pasted into your
post.

I assume you have run Office Update?

"rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3B2F693A-9782-4C60-89A5-3D2D047A93D2@microsoft.com...
> Thanks!
> I've run scanpst on the data file. No help. I checked event viewer and it
> looks like the event characteristics are: Type: Error, Source: Microsoft
> Office 11, Category: None, Event: 1000. I see several of these events,
> beginning around the time this behavior began.
>
> I cannot replicate the error. The crash/restart appears to be random, and
> sometimes happens when Outlook is minimized and I'm working in another
> application.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Youve checked Event Viewer for any relevent info?
>> Are you able to replicate the problem?
>> Run scanpst.exe, the repair tool on your data file?
>>
>> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:792EF6B6-2DCF-4D2C-A87F-2930DCF80421@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and
>> > installed.
>> > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
>> > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the
>> > latest
>> > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I
>> > could
>> > think of.
>> >
>> > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>
>>
>>
Re: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389724] Fri, 08 August 2008 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
Thanks for your help! I have run Outlook update, although I do auto download
and install of updates. Everything is current, for Outlook and XP.

Here's the info from the last crash:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Office 11
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 8/8/2008
Time: 9:10:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RANDYVAIO
Description:
Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8217.0, stamp 480f95d9,
faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0,
fault address 0x000118d2.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 00 70 00 70 00 6c 00 A.p.p.l.
0008: 69 00 63 00 61 00 74 00 i.c.a.t.
0010: 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 20 00 i.o.n. .
0018: 46 00 61 00 69 00 6c 00 F.a.i.l.
0020: 75 00 72 00 65 00 20 00 u.r.e. .
0028: 20 00 6f 00 75 00 74 00 .o.u.t.
0030: 6c 00 6f 00 6f 00 6b 00 l.o.o.k.
0038: 2e 00 65 00 78 00 65 00 ..e.x.e.
0040: 20 00 31 00 31 00 2e 00 .1.1...
0048: 30 00 2e 00 38 00 32 00 0...8.2.
0050: 31 00 37 00 2e 00 30 00 1.7...0.
0058: 20 00 34 00 38 00 30 00 .4.8.0.
0060: 66 00 39 00 35 00 64 00 f.9.5.d.
0068: 39 00 20 00 69 00 6e 00 9. .i.n.
0070: 20 00 6e 00 74 00 64 00 .n.t.d.
0078: 6c 00 6c 00 2e 00 64 00 l.l...d.
0080: 6c 00 6c 00 20 00 35 00 l.l. .5.
0088: 2e 00 31 00 2e 00 32 00 ..1...2.
0090: 36 00 30 00 30 00 2e 00 6.0.0...
0098: 32 00 31 00 38 00 30 00 2.1.8.0.
00a0: 20 00 34 00 31 00 31 00 .4.1.1.
00a8: 30 00 39 00 36 00 62 00 0.9.6.b.
00b0: 34 00 20 00 66 00 44 00 4. .f.D.
00b8: 65 00 62 00 75 00 67 00 e.b.u.g.
00c0: 20 00 30 00 20 00 61 00 .0. .a.
00c8: 74 00 20 00 6f 00 66 00 t. .o.f.
00d0: 66 00 73 00 65 00 74 00 f.s.e.t.
00d8: 20 00 30 00 30 00 30 00 .0.0.0.
00e0: 31 00 31 00 38 00 64 00 1.1.8.d.
00e8: 32 00 0d 00 0a 00 2.....


"DL" wrote:

> Event ID 1000 can be caused by a number of issues, ideally next time OL
> crashes you should check the Event Viewer, then post full details of the
> error, ie double clicking on the specific event will open a window, with an
> option to paste the msg to the clipboard, which can be then pasted into your
> post.
>
> I assume you have run Office Update?
>
> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3B2F693A-9782-4C60-89A5-3D2D047A93D2@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks!
> > I've run scanpst on the data file. No help. I checked event viewer and it
> > looks like the event characteristics are: Type: Error, Source: Microsoft
> > Office 11, Category: None, Event: 1000. I see several of these events,
> > beginning around the time this behavior began.
> >
> > I cannot replicate the error. The crash/restart appears to be random, and
> > sometimes happens when Outlook is minimized and I'm working in another
> > application.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> >> Youve checked Event Viewer for any relevent info?
> >> Are you able to replicate the problem?
> >> Run scanpst.exe, the repair tool on your data file?
> >>
> >> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:792EF6B6-2DCF-4D2C-A87F-2930DCF80421@microsoft.com...
> >> > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and
> >> > installed.
> >> > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> >> > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the
> >> > latest
> >> > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I
> >> > could
> >> > think of.
> >> >
> >> > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> >> >
> >> > Any ideas?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks!
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Re: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389726] Fri, 08 August 2008 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
I also clicked through to the link inside the event message box. No
additional info available.

Hmmmm.

"DL" wrote:

> Event ID 1000 can be caused by a number of issues, ideally next time OL
> crashes you should check the Event Viewer, then post full details of the
> error, ie double clicking on the specific event will open a window, with an
> option to paste the msg to the clipboard, which can be then pasted into your
> post.
>
> I assume you have run Office Update?
>
> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3B2F693A-9782-4C60-89A5-3D2D047A93D2@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks!
> > I've run scanpst on the data file. No help. I checked event viewer and it
> > looks like the event characteristics are: Type: Error, Source: Microsoft
> > Office 11, Category: None, Event: 1000. I see several of these events,
> > beginning around the time this behavior began.
> >
> > I cannot replicate the error. The crash/restart appears to be random, and
> > sometimes happens when Outlook is minimized and I'm working in another
> > application.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> >> Youve checked Event Viewer for any relevent info?
> >> Are you able to replicate the problem?
> >> Run scanpst.exe, the repair tool on your data file?
> >>
> >> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:792EF6B6-2DCF-4D2C-A87F-2930DCF80421@microsoft.com...
> >> > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and
> >> > installed.
> >> > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> >> > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the
> >> > latest
> >> > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I
> >> > could
> >> > think of.
> >> >
> >> > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> >> >
> >> > Any ideas?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks!
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Re: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389727] Fri, 08 August 2008 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
I also did a system restore to a day before this issue began. No help.

"DL" wrote:

> Event ID 1000 can be caused by a number of issues, ideally next time OL
> crashes you should check the Event Viewer, then post full details of the
> error, ie double clicking on the specific event will open a window, with an
> option to paste the msg to the clipboard, which can be then pasted into your
> post.
>
> I assume you have run Office Update?
>
> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3B2F693A-9782-4C60-89A5-3D2D047A93D2@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks!
> > I've run scanpst on the data file. No help. I checked event viewer and it
> > looks like the event characteristics are: Type: Error, Source: Microsoft
> > Office 11, Category: None, Event: 1000. I see several of these events,
> > beginning around the time this behavior began.
> >
> > I cannot replicate the error. The crash/restart appears to be random, and
> > sometimes happens when Outlook is minimized and I'm working in another
> > application.
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> >> Youve checked Event Viewer for any relevent info?
> >> Are you able to replicate the problem?
> >> Run scanpst.exe, the repair tool on your data file?
> >>
> >> "rtart" <rtart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:792EF6B6-2DCF-4D2C-A87F-2930DCF80421@microsoft.com...
> >> > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and
> >> > installed.
> >> > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> >> > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the
> >> > latest
> >> > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I
> >> > could
> >> > think of.
> >> >
> >> > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> >> >
> >> > Any ideas?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks!
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
RE: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389894] Fri, 08 August 2008 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
Any ideas? Outlook is now crashing every few minutes, even when I'm using a
different application.

"rtart" wrote:

> I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
> I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
> version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
> think of.
>
> Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
RE: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #389949] Fri, 08 August 2008 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
Looks like my problem is solved. For those who may find this thread looking
for a solution to a similar problem, here's a summary of the "fix".

OK. This is strange. After previously running "Detect and Repair" from
inside Outlook had no effect, I tried running D&R for Office. Seems to have
done the trick. Who'da thunk it? Apparently it was an Office issue?

To clarify, I initially did this: From inside Outlook 2003 I clicked on
"Help", then "Detect and Repair" and let it do its thing. No help. My "fix"
was to got to Control Panel, "Add or Remove Programs", select MS Office,
click "Change" then select "Reinstall or Repair." This seemed to do the trick.

Thanks to all for their assistance with my issue!

"rtart" wrote:

> Any ideas? Outlook is now crashing every few minutes, even when I'm using a
> different application.
>
> "rtart" wrote:
>
> > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
> > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
> > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
> > think of.
> >
> > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
RE: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #396286] Tue, 19 August 2008 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
Well, here I am a couple weeks later with the same problem. VERY frustrating.
Outlook crashes every few minutes. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. My
"fix" as described below hasn't worked this go-round.

Any ideas?

"rtart" wrote:

> Looks like my problem is solved. For those who may find this thread looking
> for a solution to a similar problem, here's a summary of the "fix".
>
> OK. This is strange. After previously running "Detect and Repair" from
> inside Outlook had no effect, I tried running D&R for Office. Seems to have
> done the trick. Who'da thunk it? Apparently it was an Office issue?
>
> To clarify, I initially did this: From inside Outlook 2003 I clicked on
> "Help", then "Detect and Repair" and let it do its thing. No help. My "fix"
> was to got to Control Panel, "Add or Remove Programs", select MS Office,
> click "Change" then select "Reinstall or Repair." This seemed to do the trick.
>
> Thanks to all for their assistance with my issue!
>
> "rtart" wrote:
>
> > Any ideas? Outlook is now crashing every few minutes, even when I'm using a
> > different application.
> >
> > "rtart" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
> > > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> > > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
> > > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
> > > think of.
> > >
> > > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
RE: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #435765] Mon, 27 October 2008 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RandyLaw
Messages: 1
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
Having the same problem. did you ever find a fix?

Randy

"rtart" wrote:

> Well, here I am a couple weeks later with the same problem. VERY frustrating.
> Outlook crashes every few minutes. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. My
> "fix" as described below hasn't worked this go-round.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "rtart" wrote:
>
> > Looks like my problem is solved. For those who may find this thread looking
> > for a solution to a similar problem, here's a summary of the "fix".
> >
> > OK. This is strange. After previously running "Detect and Repair" from
> > inside Outlook had no effect, I tried running D&R for Office. Seems to have
> > done the trick. Who'da thunk it? Apparently it was an Office issue?
> >
> > To clarify, I initially did this: From inside Outlook 2003 I clicked on
> > "Help", then "Detect and Repair" and let it do its thing. No help. My "fix"
> > was to got to Control Panel, "Add or Remove Programs", select MS Office,
> > click "Change" then select "Reinstall or Repair." This seemed to do the trick.
> >
> > Thanks to all for their assistance with my issue!
> >
> > "rtart" wrote:
> >
> > > Any ideas? Outlook is now crashing every few minutes, even when I'm using a
> > > different application.
> > >
> > > "rtart" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
> > > > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> > > > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
> > > > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
> > > > think of.
> > > >
> > > > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> > > >
> > > > Any ideas?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks!
RE: Why does Outlook 2003 crash and restart frequently? [message #436055] Tue, 28 October 2008 12:01 Go to previous message
rtart
Messages: 10
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
Hi. Actually I did. I'm just not really sure why it worked, since it was
something I had done before. I created a new profile, for the third or fourth
time, and Outlook began to behave. Prior to that, I also deleted some old
emails, although my file size did not seem to be a problem. Somehow in the
process it seemed to solve the problem.

Good luck. Hope I was able to help.

"RandyLaw" wrote:

> Having the same problem. did you ever find a fix?
>
> Randy
>
> "rtart" wrote:
>
> > Well, here I am a couple weeks later with the same problem. VERY frustrating.
> > Outlook crashes every few minutes. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. My
> > "fix" as described below hasn't worked this go-round.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > "rtart" wrote:
> >
> > > Looks like my problem is solved. For those who may find this thread looking
> > > for a solution to a similar problem, here's a summary of the "fix".
> > >
> > > OK. This is strange. After previously running "Detect and Repair" from
> > > inside Outlook had no effect, I tried running D&R for Office. Seems to have
> > > done the trick. Who'da thunk it? Apparently it was an Office issue?
> > >
> > > To clarify, I initially did this: From inside Outlook 2003 I clicked on
> > > "Help", then "Detect and Repair" and let it do its thing. No help. My "fix"
> > > was to got to Control Panel, "Add or Remove Programs", select MS Office,
> > > click "Change" then select "Reinstall or Repair." This seemed to do the trick.
> > >
> > > Thanks to all for their assistance with my issue!
> > >
> > > "rtart" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Any ideas? Outlook is now crashing every few minutes, even when I'm using a
> > > > different application.
> > > >
> > > > "rtart" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I'm using XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP3. All updates are current and installed.
> > > > > I've run Detect and Repair, and deleted extend.dat and outcmd.dat per
> > > > > suggestion on other threads. Only AddIn is Outlook backup utility, the latest
> > > > > version. Tried new profiles, compacting files, and everythng else I could
> > > > > think of.
> > > > >
> > > > > Message from MS after reporting says it's a MS issue. (That's helpful!)
> > > > >
> > > > > Any ideas?
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks!
Previous Topic:Control Toolbox and AutoCorrect Toolbar - Turn them OFF!
Next Topic:All Items Are Underlined
Goto Forum: