how to recover deleted messages?

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
how to recover deleted messages? [message #292258] Mon, 14 April 2008 12:26 Go to next message
Aaron B  is currently offline Aaron B
Messages: 25
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
Is it possible to recover deleted messages?

Is the deleted message still saved somewhere in the Outlook data base?

We are using Outlook 2007 in Vista Basic Dell systems.
RE: how to recover deleted messages? [message #292276] Mon, 14 April 2008 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOrland  is currently offline KOrland
Messages: 4840
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
It depends on the type of mail account you have.

If you have an Exchange account (Microsoft Exchange, the Microsoft mail
server used in many busines environments), open your Deleted Items folder and
click on Tools > Recover Deleted Items. Emails that are recovered are
returned to the Deleted Items folder. What you can recover depends on what
your Exchange Admin has chosen to set Deleted Item Retention for. I think the
default is 7 but most of us change that to be longer so we don't have to
recover mailboxes.

If you have a POP3 account with a PST file, try the following:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfroman outlookpst.htm

Good luck, let me know how you make out.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
http://www.howto-outlook.com/



"Adam Smith" wrote:

> Is it possible to recover deleted messages?
>
> Is the deleted message still saved somewhere in the Outlook data base?
>
> We are using Outlook 2007 in Vista Basic Dell systems.
>
>



Re: how to recover deleted messages? [message #292390] Mon, 14 April 2008 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron B  is currently offline Aaron B
Messages: 25
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
"K. Orland" <KOrland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C520BE02-271E-403D-A0FD-260A0EDEB4CF@microsoft.com...
> It depends on the type of mail account you have.
>
> If you have an Exchange account (Microsoft Exchange, the Microsoft mail
> server used in many busines environments), open your Deleted Items folder
> and
> click on Tools > Recover Deleted Items. Emails that are recovered are
> returned to the Deleted Items folder. What you can recover depends on what
> your Exchange Admin has chosen to set Deleted Item Retention for. I think
> the
> default is 7 but most of us change that to be longer so we don't have to
> recover mailboxes.
>
> If you have a POP3 account with a PST file, try the following:
>
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfroman outlookpst.htm
>
> Good luck, let me know how you make out.
>
> --
> Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
>

OK. We are using POP3 with pst file.
Some one in our office suggested that: as soon as we un-intentionally delete
a email message. Immediately copy this pst data file to a flash drive. Move
this pst file to another un-used computer and import into this computer's
Outlook. The message should be still in this Outlook? Correct?
Re: how to recover deleted messages? [message #292465] Tue, 15 April 2008 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH  is currently offline VanguardLH
Messages: 5901
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Adam Smith wrote:

> "K. Orland" wrote ...
>> It depends on the type of mail account you have.
>>
>> If you have an Exchange account (Microsoft Exchange, the Microsoft
>> mail server used in many busines environments), open your Deleted
>> Items folder and click on Tools > Recover Deleted Items. Emails that
>> are recovered are returned to the Deleted Items folder. What you can
>> recover depends on what your Exchange Admin has chosen to set
>> Deleted Item Retention for. I think the default is 7 but most of us
>> change that to be longer so we don't have to recover mailboxes.
>>
>> If you have a POP3 account with a PST file, try the following:
>>
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfroman outlookpst.htm
>
> OK. We are using POP3 with pst file. Some one in our office suggested
> that: as soon as we un-intentionally delete a email message.
> Immediately copy this pst data file to a flash drive. Move this pst
> file to another un-used computer and import into this computer's
> Outlook. The message should be still in this Outlook? Correct?

The delete status on the item is recorded in the .pst database file, not
in some outside index. No matter where you transport the .pst file,
that item will still have a status of deleted, and Outlook will not
show deleted items, and Outlook is what you use to view .pst files.

I you have compacted the message store (.pst file) then the
delete-marked items have been physically purged from the message store.
You will then have to rely on your backups to recover an earlier .pst
file which you can open separately under the File -> Open menu. If you
haven't compacted the database (or Outlook done so automatically), you
can use DBXtract or other utilities to extract the items from the .pst
file regardless of the delete status.
Re: how to recover deleted messages? [message #293072] Wed, 16 April 2008 21:00 Go to previous message
Aaron B  is currently offline Aaron B
Messages: 25
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
OK. Tried everything. But still unable to recover the deleted messages.
Given up. Thank you.
Previous Topic:phone icon
Next Topic:Contact and calander woes--I'm pulling my hair out!
Goto Forum:
  


 
   
  
 
Top Outlook add-ins
Send PersonallySend Personally

Send Outlook 2000-2007 message to many recipients personally.

Duplicate Email RemoverDuplicate Email Remover

Delete duplicate emails and posts in Outlook and Microsoft Exchange folders.

Duplicates Remover for OutlookDuplicates Remover for Outlook

Delete duplicates in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server folders.

MAPILab ToolboxMAPILab Toolbox

A set of 18 Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003/2007 add-ins.

Total 176 add-ins for Outlook
in 11 categories.

Latest news
  

© 2006-2014 Office Assistance LLC