You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks...

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook Public
Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #252351] Wed, 12 December 2007 11:26 Go to next message
mobamoba
Messages: 5
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
problem and tried:

Resetting IE
Resetting IE via Access Defaults
Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile

I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
can do? Thanks.
Re: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #252355] Wed, 12 December 2007 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobamoba
Messages: 5
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
On Dec 12, 11:30 am, Dean Earley <dean.ear...@icode.co.uk> wrote:
> mobamoba wrote:
> > SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> > this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> > problem and tried:
>
> > Resetting IE
> > Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> > Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
>
> > I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> > infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> > with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> > knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> > can do? Thanks.
>
> There is an option to disable links in phishing emails (I don't know
> what constitutes a phishing email though).
> And you can't uninstall SP1 :)
> Sorry.
>
> --
> Dean Earley (dean.ear...@icode.co.uk)
> i-Catcher Development Team
>
> iCode Systems

I disabled that checkbox - still doesn't work.
Re: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #252579] Wed, 12 December 2007 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobamoba
Messages: 5
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
On Dec 12, 4:53 pm, "Diane Poremsky" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> it's not SP1 that did it. Are you using Vista or winxp?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> "mobamoba" <ragdpra...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:05da5120-62ad-4228-ada1-d3b800d247b2@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
> > SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> > this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> > problem and tried:
>
> > Resetting IE
> > Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> > Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
>
> > I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> > infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> > with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> > knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> > can do? Thanks.

I'm using XP. As far as SP1 goes, I've never had this problem until
yesterday's Windows Update. Nothing on my system changed other than
whatever Microsoft put on my system via its updates. So if I've never
had this problem before and you don't think it's SP1, what do you
think it is? Thanks in advance.
Re: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #252645] Thu, 13 December 2007 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
outlookmvp
Messages: 14613
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
It's probably the windows updates causing it, but its very isolated,
possibly related to specific software you have installed. Did they reboot
the system? Try resetting web settings (in internet options) again then
reboot. It's worth checking the windows newsgroups to see if they have other
ideas.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM


"mobamoba" <ragdpragdp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ee4e0d7d-df7e-4fe7-9f7f-e627f279873f@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

> I'm using XP. As far as SP1 goes, I've never had this problem until
> yesterday's Windows Update. Nothing on my system changed other than
> whatever Microsoft put on my system via its updates. So if I've never
> had this problem before and you don't think it's SP1, what do you
> think it is? Thanks in advance.
Re: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #253036] Fri, 14 December 2007 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lockergnome
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
I'm having hyperlink problems as well with Office 2007 (Outlook 2007)
SP1, but only plain text messages aren't showing their URLs as active.

It's not looking to be an HTML issue for me - those mails are fine...

Chris


> It's probably the windows updates causing it, but its very isolated,
> possibly related to specific software you have installed. Did they reboot
> the system? Try resetting web settings (in internet options) again then
> reboot. It's worth checking the windows newsgroups to see if they have other
> ideas.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> "mobamoba" <ragdpra...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:ee4e0d7d-df7e-4fe7-9f7f-e627f279873f@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > I'm using XP. As far as SP1 goes, I've never had this problem until
> > yesterday's Windows Update. Nothing on my system changed other than
> > whatever Microsoft put on my system via its updates. So if I've never
> > had this problem before and you don't think it's SP1, what do you
> > think it is? Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #253706] Mon, 17 December 2007 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BefuddledInquirer
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
I am using Outlook 2003 with Windows XP and have begun to have the same
problem. My default browser is Maxthon and I never had this problem before. I
tried the solutions in KB article 310049, including resetting IE as the
default browser, all to no avail. Any ideas?

"mobamoba" wrote:

> SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> problem and tried:
>
> Resetting IE
> Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
>
> I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> can do? Thanks.
>
RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #257180] Mon, 31 December 2007 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wgm
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2007
Junior Member
I am using MO with Vista on two differnt computers. One cannot open
hyperlinks - the other has no problems!
I am also depsperate to find a solution.
Any wise guys out there who can help us????

wgm

"BefuddledInquirer" wrote:

> I am using Outlook 2003 with Windows XP and have begun to have the same
> problem. My default browser is Maxthon and I never had this problem before. I
> tried the solutions in KB article 310049, including resetting IE as the
> default browser, all to no avail. Any ideas?
>
> "mobamoba" wrote:
>
> > SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> > this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> > problem and tried:
> >
> > Resetting IE
> > Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> > Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
> >
> > I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> > infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> > with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> > knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> > can do? Thanks.
> >
RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #260865] Wed, 02 January 2008 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chrisg
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2007
Junior Member
I am also having trouble opening up hyperlinks after I updated Microsoft with
a live update...It appears no one has an answer to this problem as of yet.
Any one else with a suggestion?

"wgm" wrote:

> I am using MO with Vista on two differnt computers. One cannot open
> hyperlinks - the other has no problems!
> I am also depsperate to find a solution.
> Any wise guys out there who can help us????
>
> wgm
>
> "BefuddledInquirer" wrote:
>
> > I am using Outlook 2003 with Windows XP and have begun to have the same
> > problem. My default browser is Maxthon and I never had this problem before. I
> > tried the solutions in KB article 310049, including resetting IE as the
> > default browser, all to no avail. Any ideas?
> >
> > "mobamoba" wrote:
> >
> > > SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> > > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> > > this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> > > problem and tried:
> > >
> > > Resetting IE
> > > Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> > > Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
> > >
> > > I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> > > infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> > > with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> > > knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> > > can do? Thanks.
> > >
RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #267383] Tue, 22 January 2008 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laurel
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2007
Junior Member
Forgive me for "piling on" but the message board won't let me start a new
thread. My problems are similar but worse -- when the hyperlinks stop to
function, the ability to open Word or Excel documents via icon goes with it.
Here is a full recounting (below). The problem is intermittent but does seem
to happen after i come in and my computer has updated from Microsoft. It's
driving me crazy. I'm about to be forced to find alternatives to word and
excel because of the lost productivity of constantly having to open the
programs and browse to the documents and/or having to cut and paste
hyperlinks into IE. I am at my wits' end!!! (Post from another forum 12/12
below. I've since made other changes -- just to get it to work --
install/uninstall google desktop, back to using just Macafee,
install/uninstall mozilla. It's been broken for 3 days now and none of my
tricks work. Glarysoft says the registry is fine. I GIVE UP!!! PLEASE
HELP!!)
*****************

Problem with Default Programs & File Associations
by laurel - 12/12/07 11:59 AM

I have searched threads but can't find a situation like the one I'm
experiencing. It's driving me crazy and I hope you can help. The computer was
recently reformatted and everything reinstalled. This problem developed
almost immediately after programs were reloaded, but I was having some
similar trouble even before the reformat -- just not as continual.

System and program data:
AMD Dual Core 4200 Processor, 2 gigs high-speed ram, NVIDA video card, two
monitor array
XP Pro with SP2
IE7 (see below also IE6 and Firefox) Google toolbar installed
Office 2007 for Small Businesses ("my documents" reside on the D drive;
programs on the C drive)
Spyware Doctor with Antivirus (see below, also Avast) (Now Macafee)

Problems:
1. URL hyperlinks in Outlook 2007 will suddenly stop responding properly. If
the page does eventually open it's very slow. Sometimes, but not always,a bit
later an error of "general failure URL XXX, an error occurred sending the
command to the program" (not 100% positive of the exact language there).
Cutting and pasting the URL into an open IE browser window works fine and
rapidly.
2. When the URLs begin to act up, at the same time I lose the ability to
open any WORD and Excel documents by double-clicking the icons. I can open
WORD or Excel, browse for the document from within and it opens properly.

What I've tried:
1. Uninstalling IE7, running IE6, reinstalling IE7
2. Installing Firefox and also uninstalling Firefox
3. Office diagnostics (no problems reported).
4. Repairing Office
5. Created a "test" user to see if the user settings were somehow corrupted
(test user had same problems)
6. Control Panel/Add Remove/Set Defaults
7. File associations in Folder Options (unchecked DDE and rechecked -- made
no difference).
8. Easy Cleaner for registry problems.
9. Glarysoft for registry problems.

What happens when I try changing the web browser defaults and/or version:
1. The file associations and urls will begin to work properly. It will last
anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe a day or two. Then they revert to
erratic/nonfunctioning behavior until I try some or all of the above again.
2. Setting the defaults in the Control Panel only worked once. The rest of
the time, it goes nonresponsive when applying changes. (once I walked away
and it stayed with the hourglass overnight, totally nonresponsive)
3. Resetting IE to be the default browswer in the IE tools/internet options
will go nonresponsive as well.
4. If I install Firefox, make it the default, then uninstall it, that will
get everything working as a rule for a short period of time as well. When I
uninstall IE7 and roll back to IE6, it works for a bit and then reverts.
(neither of these tricks work anymore)
5. I thought it might be Spyware Doctor and popups somehow, so I uninstalled
it and installed Avast. Made no difference. (now using Macafee)

I am at a complete and total loss. All the file associations look
appropriate, the paths look correct. Restore points don't seem to affect the
problem. Please let me know if I have not provided complete information or
haven't been clear in the description. Thanks in advance for any assistance
you can give me!




"ChrisG" wrote:

> I am also having trouble opening up hyperlinks after I updated Microsoft with
> a live update...It appears no one has an answer to this problem as of yet.
> Any one else with a suggestion?
>
> "wgm" wrote:
>
> > I am using MO with Vista on two differnt computers. One cannot open
> > hyperlinks - the other has no problems!
> > I am also depsperate to find a solution.
> > Any wise guys out there who can help us????
> >
> > wgm
> >
> > "BefuddledInquirer" wrote:
> >
> > > I am using Outlook 2003 with Windows XP and have begun to have the same
> > > problem. My default browser is Maxthon and I never had this problem before. I
> > > tried the solutions in KB article 310049, including resetting IE as the
> > > default browser, all to no avail. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > "mobamoba" wrote:
> > >
> > > > SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> > > > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> > > > this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> > > > problem and tried:
> > > >
> > > > Resetting IE
> > > > Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> > > > Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
> > > >
> > > > I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> > > > infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> > > > with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> > > > knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> > > > can do? Thanks.
> > > >
RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #267658] Wed, 23 January 2008 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laurel
Messages: 10
Registered: March 2007
Junior Member
Am going to start my own thread. It seems to be allowing me to do that
today. Again, sorry for jumping into this thread. thank you,
Laurel

"Laurel" wrote:

> Forgive me for "piling on" but the message board won't let me start a new
> thread. My problems are similar but worse -- when the hyperlinks stop to
> function, the ability to open Word or Excel documents via icon goes with it.
> Here is a full recounting (below). The problem is intermittent but does seem
> to happen after i come in and my computer has updated from Microsoft. It's
> driving me crazy. I'm about to be forced to find alternatives to word and
> excel because of the lost productivity of constantly having to open the
> programs and browse to the documents and/or having to cut and paste
> hyperlinks into IE. I am at my wits' end!!! (Post from another forum 12/12
> below. I've since made other changes -- just to get it to work --
> install/uninstall google desktop, back to using just Macafee,
> install/uninstall mozilla. It's been broken for 3 days now and none of my
> tricks work. Glarysoft says the registry is fine. I GIVE UP!!! PLEASE
> HELP!!)
> *****************
>
> Problem with Default Programs & File Associations
> by laurel - 12/12/07 11:59 AM
>
> I have searched threads but can't find a situation like the one I'm
> experiencing. It's driving me crazy and I hope you can help. The computer was
> recently reformatted and everything reinstalled. This problem developed
> almost immediately after programs were reloaded, but I was having some
> similar trouble even before the reformat -- just not as continual.
>
> System and program data:
> AMD Dual Core 4200 Processor, 2 gigs high-speed ram, NVIDA video card, two
> monitor array
> XP Pro with SP2
> IE7 (see below also IE6 and Firefox) Google toolbar installed
> Office 2007 for Small Businesses ("my documents" reside on the D drive;
> programs on the C drive)
> Spyware Doctor with Antivirus (see below, also Avast) (Now Macafee)
>
> Problems:
> 1. URL hyperlinks in Outlook 2007 will suddenly stop responding properly. If
> the page does eventually open it's very slow. Sometimes, but not always,a bit
> later an error of "general failure URL XXX, an error occurred sending the
> command to the program" (not 100% positive of the exact language there).
> Cutting and pasting the URL into an open IE browser window works fine and
> rapidly.
> 2. When the URLs begin to act up, at the same time I lose the ability to
> open any WORD and Excel documents by double-clicking the icons. I can open
> WORD or Excel, browse for the document from within and it opens properly.
>
> What I've tried:
> 1. Uninstalling IE7, running IE6, reinstalling IE7
> 2. Installing Firefox and also uninstalling Firefox
> 3. Office diagnostics (no problems reported).
> 4. Repairing Office
> 5. Created a "test" user to see if the user settings were somehow corrupted
> (test user had same problems)
> 6. Control Panel/Add Remove/Set Defaults
> 7. File associations in Folder Options (unchecked DDE and rechecked -- made
> no difference).
> 8. Easy Cleaner for registry problems.
> 9. Glarysoft for registry problems.
>
> What happens when I try changing the web browser defaults and/or version:
> 1. The file associations and urls will begin to work properly. It will last
> anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe a day or two. Then they revert to
> erratic/nonfunctioning behavior until I try some or all of the above again.
> 2. Setting the defaults in the Control Panel only worked once. The rest of
> the time, it goes nonresponsive when applying changes. (once I walked away
> and it stayed with the hourglass overnight, totally nonresponsive)
> 3. Resetting IE to be the default browswer in the IE tools/internet options
> will go nonresponsive as well.
> 4. If I install Firefox, make it the default, then uninstall it, that will
> get everything working as a rule for a short period of time as well. When I
> uninstall IE7 and roll back to IE6, it works for a bit and then reverts.
> (neither of these tricks work anymore)
> 5. I thought it might be Spyware Doctor and popups somehow, so I uninstalled
> it and installed Avast. Made no difference. (now using Macafee)
>
> I am at a complete and total loss. All the file associations look
> appropriate, the paths look correct. Restore points don't seem to affect the
> problem. Please let me know if I have not provided complete information or
> haven't been clear in the description. Thanks in advance for any assistance
> you can give me!
>
>
>
>
> "ChrisG" wrote:
>
> > I am also having trouble opening up hyperlinks after I updated Microsoft with
> > a live update...It appears no one has an answer to this problem as of yet.
> > Any one else with a suggestion?
> >
> > "wgm" wrote:
> >
> > > I am using MO with Vista on two differnt computers. One cannot open
> > > hyperlinks - the other has no problems!
> > > I am also depsperate to find a solution.
> > > Any wise guys out there who can help us????
> > >
> > > wgm
> > >
> > > "BefuddledInquirer" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I am using Outlook 2003 with Windows XP and have begun to have the same
> > > > problem. My default browser is Maxthon and I never had this problem before. I
> > > > tried the solutions in KB article 310049, including resetting IE as the
> > > > default browser, all to no avail. Any ideas?
> > > >
> > > > "mobamoba" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> > > > > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> > > > > this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> > > > > problem and tried:
> > > > >
> > > > > Resetting IE
> > > > > Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> > > > > Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
> > > > >
> > > > > I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> > > > > infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> > > > > with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> > > > > knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> > > > > can do? Thanks.
> > > > >
RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #284318] Fri, 21 March 2008 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paul_tisch
Messages: 1
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
Same problem here--possibly caused after I upgraded Firefox to version
3beta4. I changed the default browser in 'set program access and defaults' to
IE7 instead of Firefox and I found that I could open the hyper link from
Outlook 2007. Seems to work now, so hopefully problem fixed! When Firefox
releases version 3 again hopefully this problem will be rectified.
Hope this information will help others having the same problem.

"mobamoba" wrote:

> SP1 automatically installed yesterday for Outlook 2007, and I now get
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
> this computer" whenever I try to click a hyperlink. I Googled this
> problem and tried:
>
> Resetting IE
> Resetting IE via Access Defaults
> Importing new reg key for HKLM/Software.../htmlfile
>
> I'm out of tricks. Does anyone know of anything else I can do? It's
> infuriating that Microsoft released an update that completely screws
> with the way I work. My inclination is uninstall SP1 - but then who
> knows what other problems that might cause. Anyone know anything I
> can do? Thanks.
>
Re: RE: Outlook 2007 won't open hyperlinks... [message #451408] Sat, 13 December 2008 18:19 Go to previous message
popat100
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
Hello BefuddledInquirer

This is a useful link that provides information on how to allow links in emails, webpages, etc to work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

Kind Regards
popsys
Previous Topic:Downgrade Outlook 2007 to 2003
Next Topic:FOR SELL EDIBLE OIL AND BIOODIESEL OIL
Goto Forum: