You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Search Function won't work in Outlook 2007

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Search Function won't work in Outlook 2007 [message #231335] Sun, 07 October 2007 18:51 Go to next message
Styx  is currently offline Styx
Messages: 1
Registered: October 2007
Junior Member
I have a relatively new computer (4 months old) which has Vista on it; and I
just recently installed Office 2007 Standard. The computer is connected to
the internet via a wireless firewall/print server and ADSL modem.

PROBLEM
The search function in Outlook does not work. I've read all the help files
and gone through all the steps and nothing works.

When I enter a word in the search box, I get "Search results may be
incomplete because items are still being indexed". And, then I get a
dialogue box saying that "Outlook is currently indexing your items". The
number of un-indexed items continues to grow; never reduces. I have tried
re-indexing the computer several times.

As a test, I try to search for an item in Inbox, which I can see; and the
search function returns nothing. The search function in Outlook has yet to
find a single item.

The search function in other products (MS Word) works O.K., but not for
email files. I have about 50,000 emails in several archives that I need to
periodically search, and not being able to is causing considerable grief.

I have updated both Vista and Office 2007.

I have run the on-line diagnostics and everything appears to be O.K.

I hope there is a simple answer and that someone can help me.

--
STYX
Re: Search Function won't work in Outlook 2007 [message #232725] Wed, 10 October 2007 21:17 Go to previous message
troberts1097  is currently offline troberts1097
Messages: 1
Registered: October 2007
Junior Member
Had the same problem after upgrading to Outlook 2007 from Outlook 2003 (Vista OS).

Here's how I fixed it:

1) go to Vista control panel
2) double click 'Indexing Options'
3) click on the 'Modify' button
NOTE: in my case I saw outlook as a included location.
4) uncheck outlook in the selected locations
5) click OK

That should fix it... I know, it's strange... At least in my case MS Outlook was re added as a included location and started to index correctly.

I was going to re add it in manually but it seems the fix to the outlook search issue discovered yet another bug, this time with Vista.

Let me know if that works for you.


Tim
Previous Topic:Saving Search folders and Custom views
Next Topic:out going mail failed
Goto Forum: