My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook?

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook? [message #214819] Tue, 11 September 2007 09:38 Go to next message
Tharva  is currently offline Tharva
Messages: 2
Registered: September 2007
Junior Member
In the main view, I am not able to view the main menu bar (file, edit,
view...). As well, when replying to an email, I am able to type a subject,
but not an email as I can't see that part either.
RE: My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook? [message #214824] Tue, 11 September 2007 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOrland  is currently offline KOrland
Messages: 4840
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Hi Tharva

Click on View and scroll to Toolbars. Make sure you have Standard checked
off as well as Advanced.

If that doesn't do it for you, unhid all hidden files and folders (do this
in Windows Explorer) and then search for outcmd.dat. Make sure Outlook is
closed. Rename the file (to whatever you want, eg outcmd.dat_old) and reopen
Outlook to see if this has helped any.

Please let me know how you've made out.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
http://www.howto-outlook.com/



"Tharva" wrote:

> In the main view, I am not able to view the main menu bar (file, edit,
> view...). As well, when replying to an email, I am able to type a subject,
> but not an email as I can't see that part either.



RE: My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook? [message #214870] Tue, 11 September 2007 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tharva  is currently offline Tharva
Messages: 2
Registered: September 2007
Junior Member
Hello Kathleen,

For the first suggestion, I am unable to click on View, as that is part of
the main menu bar in outlook.

For the second suggestion, My computer is using Windows Vista, I checked off
the box to search hidden files/folders, and it was unable to find the
outcmd.dat file.

Tharva

"K. Orland" wrote:

> Hi Tharva
>
> Click on View and scroll to Toolbars. Make sure you have Standard checked
> off as well as Advanced.
>
> If that doesn't do it for you, unhid all hidden files and folders (do this
> in Windows Explorer) and then search for outcmd.dat. Make sure Outlook is
> closed. Rename the file (to whatever you want, eg outcmd.dat_old) and reopen
> Outlook to see if this has helped any.
>
> Please let me know how you've made out.
>
> --
> Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
>
>
> "Tharva" wrote:
>
> > In the main view, I am not able to view the main menu bar (file, edit,
> > view...). As well, when replying to an email, I am able to type a subject,
> > but not an email as I can't see that part either.
RE: My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook? [message #214874] Tue, 11 September 2007 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOrland  is currently offline KOrland
Messages: 4840
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
You should be able to find it here (not using Vista so I'm giving you the
filepath to mine in a different O/S. It may be similar for you in Vista.

C:\Documents and Settings\yourusernamegoeshere\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
http://www.howto-outlook.com/



"Tharva" wrote:

> Hello Kathleen,
>
> For the first suggestion, I am unable to click on View, as that is part of
> the main menu bar in outlook.
>
> For the second suggestion, My computer is using Windows Vista, I checked off
> the box to search hidden files/folders, and it was unable to find the
> outcmd.dat file.
>
> Tharva
>
> "K. Orland" wrote:
>
> > Hi Tharva
> >
> > Click on View and scroll to Toolbars. Make sure you have Standard checked
> > off as well as Advanced.
> >
> > If that doesn't do it for you, unhid all hidden files and folders (do this
> > in Windows Explorer) and then search for outcmd.dat. Make sure Outlook is
> > closed. Rename the file (to whatever you want, eg outcmd.dat_old) and reopen
> > Outlook to see if this has helped any.
> >
> > Please let me know how you've made out.
> >
> > --
> > Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> >
> >
> >
> > "Tharva" wrote:
> >
> > > In the main view, I am not able to view the main menu bar (file, edit,
> > > view...). As well, when replying to an email, I am able to type a subject,
> > > but not an email as I can't see that part either.
Re: My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook? [message #214929] Tue, 11 September 2007 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Tharva <Tharva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> For the second suggestion, My computer is using Windows Vista, I
> checked off the box to search hidden files/folders, and it was unable
> to find the outcmd.dat file.

Open Windows Explorer and in the Address bar, enter

%AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook

Then click Go. You should see the outcmd.dat file.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: My main menu bar is missing, how do I get it back in outlook? [message #214933] Tue, 11 September 2007 16:04 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman  is currently offline Brian Tillman
Messages: 25135
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
K. Orland <KOrland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> You should be able to find it here (not using Vista so I'm giving you
> the filepath to mine in a different O/S. It may be similar for you in
> Vista.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\yourusernamegoeshere\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook

C:\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook. Better to use
"%AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook", as that's the same on Windows 2000, XP, and
Vista. It may also be correct on Windows 98 and ME.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Previous Topic:how do i write a letter using the letter wizard in outlook?
Next Topic:Personal Folder Template
Goto Forum:
  


 
   
  
 
Top Outlook add-ins
Send PersonallySend Personally

Send Outlook 2000-2007 message to many recipients personally.

Duplicate Email RemoverDuplicate Email Remover

Delete duplicate emails and posts in Outlook and Microsoft Exchange folders.

Duplicates Remover for OutlookDuplicates Remover for Outlook

Delete duplicates in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server folders.

MAPILab ToolboxMAPILab Toolbox

A set of 18 Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003/2007 add-ins.

Total 176 add-ins for Outlook
in 11 categories.

Latest news
  

© 2006-2014 Office Assistance LLC